Tuesday, November 15

Poetic odds + ends





The Hellespont, in Greece.
Written After Swimming from Sestos to Abydos

"If, in the month of dark December,
Leander, who was nightly wont
(What maid will not the tale remember?)
To cross thy stream, broad Hellespont!

If, when the wintry tempest roar'd,
He sped to Hero, nothing loth,
And thus of old thy current pour'd,
Fair Venus! how I pity both!

For me, degenerate modern wretch,
Though in the genial month of May,
My dripping limbs I faintly stretch,
And think I've done a feat today.

But since he cross'd the rapid tide,
According to the doubtful story,
To woo,--and--Lord knows what beside,
And swam for Love, as I for Glory;

'Twere hard to say who fared the best:
Sad mortals! thus the gods still plague you!
He lost his labour, I my jest;
For he was drown'd, and I've the ague."

~ Lord Byron 


A Word

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.
I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

~ Emily Dickinson <3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, my brother is composing a satirical song about the Occupy Wallstreet Movement, my sister is reading a kid's how-to-make-mostly-useless-but-completly-engrossing-stuff book, and I am was absorbed in eating a peirogie.
Well, not completely absorbed! 

Music?

No, I'm not really a big fan of 50's music, but I kinda like this song. (It was in Disney's The Lion King)
A-wemoweh a-wemoweh.

You really should go and check out David's (my brother) blog: A Second Shot 
I redesigned it and he finally added some new photos. He took my new profile shot too. A budding photographer.

Also, breeding season for the sheep should be starting very soon. Fingers crossed for multiple (healthy) lambs in the spring!   :fl


Lastly, a humorous poem, which those of you familiar with Longfellow can appreciate-

The Modern Hiawatha 
by George A. strong

He killed the noble Mudjokivis.
Of the skin he made him mittens,
Made them with the fur side inside,
Made them with the skin side outside.
He, to get the warm side inside,
Put the inside skin side outside;
He, to get the cold side outside,
Put the warm side fur side inside.
That's why he put the fur side inside,
Why he put the skin side outside,
Why he turned them inside outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love to get comments!
Please write clearly with correct grammar.